Monday, January 12, 2009

So who do I tell?

Or more accurately, who is "safe" to tell? I just called my GP's office. I'd left a message for her on a board we both belong to, but she's not a regular poster and she hasn't gotten it yet. So I called her office. The receptionist asked why I needed to leave a message.

"I don't know if I need an appointment with her or not. Could you ask her to call me?"

"What's this in regard to."

"I just need to know if she wants to see me."

"What is this about?"

"Well, I got a positive home pregnancy test last week, and I need to know if she wants to see me now or not."

*pause*

"Are you planning on going to an OB/GYN?"

"No, I don't think so."

"So is this in reference to a referral, do you need to see Dr. XXXX for that?"

"Could you just have her call me, please?"

If I had said I was planning an UC, would the receptionist have passed along my message? Will my doctor get in trouble for seeing a pregnant woman she has no desire to assist in the delivery (she doesn't deliver babies, like so many doctors the insurance is just too high)? Can the lab tech know? My doctor warned me already that the person she'll send me to for my ultrasounds is NOT homebirthing friendly. But he's the best, and apparently he did hers. I think that's how she knows he's not going to be receptive. But I can keep my mouth closed.

My friends know, and they know I don't make irresponsible decisions, so those who don't agree with it are keeping their mouths closed (let's see if that goes nine months, but if not I know they'll be respectful). But it feels nearly dangerous to tell other people. Would someone call CPS on us? Nothing illegal is happening here, and yet I feel I need to live under the radar of those I don't know. Even among my friends I don't talk about it unless I know their stance. Or they know I'm having a homebirth, but nothing beyond that. I don't lie, if they ask I'll tell. But I don't know if there are people who would try to sabotage me going about their lives around me. This is a new journey for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment